Geologic Time Scale
Integration of Geologic Datasets
Regional & Basin Experience
UK (Anglo-Paris basin)
India (East and West Coast)
Gulf of Mexico
MBA – University of Utah
Ph.D. in Geology – Micropaleontology, University College London
M.Sc. in Micropaleontology, University College London
M.Phil. in Geology, University of Delhi
M.Sc. in Geology, University of Delhi
B.Sc. in Geology, University of Delhi
- Overseas Research Scholarship (Ph.D. program at University
Shell Centenary Scholarship (M.S. at University College London)
Thomas Witherden Batt Scholarship (Ph.D. program at University College
- BEST SCIENCE POSTER (2nd runner up), 2019. 1st Houston Geological Society – European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (HGS-EAGE) Conference on Latin America, Houston, TX, USA.
Title of the poster: Application of a New Resource Assessment Workflow to Offshore Guyana-Suriname Margin: Correction for Mineral Matrix Effect and Reclassification of Organofacies. Co-author, awarded to student team member, EGI Oceans Research Program.
- BEST SCIENCE POSTER, 2016. 15th Houston Geological Society (HGS-PESGB) Africa Conference, Houston, TX, USA.
Title of the poster: Refinements to Chronostratigraphy of the Cretaceous Oceanic Anoxic Events in the Southern South Atlantic Ocean – Comparison of 6 DSDP Sites, senior author of the poster and published abstract.
Hafiz, M., Hakhoo, N., Bhat, G., Kanungo, S., Thusu, B., Craig J., Ahmed, W. & Magotra, R., 2022. An assessment of the source potential and reservoir characterization for tight gas exploration in the Subathu Formation shale, Himalayan Foreland Basin, northwestern India. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2022.105205
Kanungo, S. & Barrow, A., 2021. Being LGBT in Geoscience Is Like Being Invisible. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/being-lgbt-in-geoscience-is-like-being-invisible/
Kanungo, S., Bown, P. & Gale, A., 2021. Cretaceous (Albian-Turonian) calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy of the onshore Cauvery Basin, southeastern India. Cretaceous Research, 118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2020.104644
Beti, D.R., Garel, S., Setoyama, E., Behar, F., Ring, T. & Kanungo, S., 2021. A new resource assessment workflow to achieve gas risk and phase-specific source potential indices. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2021.105136
Kanungo, S., Bown, P. & Gale, A., 2021. Taxonomic note – new Cretaceous nannofossil taxa from the onshore Cauvery Basin, southeastern India. Journal of Nannoplankton Research, 39 (1), 1-2.
Setoyama, E., Kanungo, S., 2020. Mesozoic Biochronostratigraphy and Paleoenvironment of the South Atlantic: A Revised Framework based on 20 DSDP and ODP deep-water sites. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, 99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsames.2020.102511
Hafeez, M., Hakhoo, N., Bhat, G. M., Kanungo, S., Thusu, B., Craig, J. & Ahmed, W., 2020. Source potential and reservoir characterization of the Cambay Shale, Cambay Basin, India: Implications for tight gas and tight oil resource development. AAPG Bulletin, 104, no. 8, 1707-1749. https://doi:10.1306/03162017174
Kanungo, S., Bown, P. R., Young, J. R., & Gale, A. S., 2018. A brief warming event in the late Albian: evidence from calcareous nannofossils, macrofossils, and isotope geochemistry of the Gault Clay Formation, Folkestone, southeastern England. Journal of Micropalaeontology, 37, 231-247. https://doi.org/10.5194/jm-37-231-2018
Jiang, S., Zeng, H., Moscardelli, L., Wach, G., Feijo, F.J., Gardosh, M., Jiang, T., Zhu, H., Henriksen, S., Kanungo, S., 2018. Introduction to Special Section: Recent advances in geology and geophysics of deepwater reservoirs. Interpretation, 6(4):1-3, https://doi.org/10.1190/INT-2018-0830-SPSEINTRO.1
Ahmed, W., Bhat, G.M., Mc Lennan, J., Sinha, H.N., Kanungo, S., Pandita, S.K., Singh, Y., Hakhoo, N., Hafiz, M., Thusu, B. & Choudhary, N.H., 2018. Kerogen typing using palynofacies analysis in Permian Barren Measures Formation in Raniganj sub–basin, East India. The Palaeobotanist, 67, 113–122.
Kanungo S., Young J., Skowron, G., 2017. Microfossils: Calcareous Nannoplankton (Nannofossils). In: Sorkhabi R. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Petroleum Geoscience, Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, Springer, Cham, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-02330-4_4-2.
Hafeez, M., Kanungo, S., Hakhoo, N., & Pathak, M., (Editors), 2017. Monograph. International Workshop Proceedings – Indian Shale Oil and Gas Exploration, January 2016: Energy & Geoscience Institute (EGI), University of Utah, 162p.
Hakhoo, N., Thusu, B., Mani, D., Bhat, G.M., Craig, J., Thurow, J., Hafiz, M., Kanungo, S., Koul, S., & Ahmed, W., 2016. Hydrocarbon source potential of the Proterozoic Sirban Limestone Formation, NW Himalaya, Jammu (India). Journal Geological Society of India, 88, 685-692.
Kanungo, S., Skowron, G., Setoyama, E. and Silwal, S., 2016. Chronostratigraphic Applications of the Composite Standard Database. ASK EGI, https://egi.utah.edu/chronostratigraphy-at-egi/
- Integrated microfossil chronostratigraphy
- Nannofossil biostratigraphy
- Integrative source rock studies
Sudeep Kanungo is a nannofossil biostratigrapher recognized for his work in applied chronostratigraphy through the graphic correlation methodology and composite standard database technology. The foundation of this method is the former Amoco Composite Standard. Sudeep leads his team in integrative, multidisciplinary chronostratigraphy projects to identify periods of rock accumulation, unconformities and depositional environments in absolute time (mega-annum age). This aids in creating data for improved spatial and temporal calibration of source rock events. Sudeep specializes in Mesozoic (Cretaceous) nannofossils, and integrating them with foraminifera and palynofossils. Sudeep is the principal investigator for the EGI Oceans Research Program and received the Best Science Poster Award for the EGI Oceans South Atlantic Project at the 15th Annual Houston Geological Society Africa Conference in September 2016.
- Central and North Atlantic: Conjugate Margin
- South Atlantic: Conjugate Margin
- Equatorial Transform Margin: Côte d’Ivoire – Ghana Transform Margin
- East and West India Passive Margin: 16 onshore to offshore basins
- East Africa: Somalia to Mozambique basins (onshore to offshore)
- Kanungo, S., Bown, P. & Gale, A., 2020 (In Press). Cretaceous (AlbianTuronian) calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy of the onshore Cauvery Basin, southeastern India. Cretaceous Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j. cretres.2020.104644
- Setoyama, E. & Kanungo, S., 2020. Mesozoic biochronostratigraphy and paleoenvironment of the South Atlantic: A revised framework based on 20 DSDP and ODP deep-water sites. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, 99, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsames.2020.102511
- Hafeez, M., Hakhoo, N., Bhat, G. M., Kanungo, S., Thusu, B., Craig, J. & Ahmed, W., 2020. Source potential and reservoir characterization of the Cambay Shale, Cambay Basin, India: Implications for tight gas and tight oil resource development. AAPG Bulletin, 104 (8), 1707-1749, https://doi. org/10.1306/03162017174